Feb 19, 2009

New Purchase

This box of shiny, new red shoes is on 9" w x 12" h stretched canvas. Shoes are the item that started my new Feminine Painting Series. My mother and I set up a still life of black shoes (see the painting, "Flock of Shoes" below), and a friend of hers joked that we should paint red bras to go along with them. I had previously thought about painting that very subject, and had even taken a couple of photos, but wasn't sure if it would fit in with my usual choice of subject matter. Then I thought of all the other stuff that is feminine that goes with bras and shoes, and decided to build a whole series around it, including cosmetics, purses, perfume bottles and jewelry. This theme fits around my past aspirations as well. As a teenager I was obsessed with fashion and wanted to become a fashion designer...it is what inspired me to start drawing. You can't tell that by looking at me now, since I am always in my painting clothes. I think this is fashion week in New York, so these paintings go along with current events.The seven paintings that follow are the first in my Feminine Series. This painting is no longer available.

No comments: