Nov 30, 2021

Hidden Lake

 

I had focused on European travel for much of the last 20 years because the old buildings, art, and landscapes of Europe seemed to have more history than our country. At least the recorded history. I loved the old buildings and streets compared to the ones we have, which often seem disposable and too new. Also, oddly,  trips there were more cost effective than traveling to the west coast of the US from the east. With the events of the last year, traveling to Europe seemed much more difficult and I've gained more of an appreciation for home, so we took the opportunity to visit Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons and Bozeman with some friends. 

I've always respected nature, but now that has been amplified after seeing bison, deer, elk and bear (at an uncomfortably close range) living in the old forests of Yellowstone Park and the Grand Tetons. I loved seeing the tall pine trees and mountains together. I especially loved the budding baby pines who's tops were barely a foot off the ground, and will someday be over 200 feet tall. As much as I appreciate the age of Europe, I appreciate the life of these parks. Oddly, while I felt so happy witnessing it, I felt simultaneously sad that it is fragile and often subject to the actions and attitudes of people. Every animal seemed to have a soul of its own and deserves to live its life in peace. I'm sure braving the unpredictable weather there is difficult and the animals don't need us to make it even more difficult. I hope to capture the feeling of life and beauty that didn't seem real in this and future paintings. Oil on 16"h x 20"w stretched canvas. Available at UGallery

No comments: