Jul 19, 2024

Churro Shop

 

Churros is the breakfast of champions when walking the Camino de Santiago. I stopped at this cafe on the way out of Leon, Spain, and the perfectly fattening doughnut variation with chocolate and a side of coffee provided the energy to embark on the rainy walk. 

I unfortunately didn't give myself enough time to walk the entire Camino last year. I optimistically thought I could bike the Meseta, which would have allowed me to finish the Camino within four weeks, and then meet my then-husband for a post Camino vacation. I did not foresee illness, foot problems, or torrential downpours that would cost me days here and there. I knew those things could happen, but I ignored them, only envisioning the best possible outcome. Sadly, I accepted that biking the Meseta would not allow me to finish the entire 500 mile trek. After reassessing the situation, I decided to skip the middle by taking a bus from Najera to Leon. 

Many people think of completing the last 100 km from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela as a satisfactory pilgrimage, so I figured that it still counted. The night I arrived in Leon, I got down to business by washing all of my clothes in a real washer and dryer, and then I explored the town. During my explorations, I stumbled upon this churro shop and told myself I'd be back for breakfast the next morning. 

Available at UGallery.com

No comments: