Jul 12, 2024

View of San Sebastian

 

Last year before starting the Camino de Santiago, I took a short vacation in San Sebastian. I couldn't find a great way to get to Saint Jean Pied de Port, so I went with what seemed to be the cheapest option at first. In retrospect, it wasn't cheap simply because it created a mini vacation within the Camino adventure. But it was a great palette cleanser between real life and the arduous pilgrimage. The flight to Barcelona was less expensive and shorter than any other option. I spent one night at a Barcelona airport hotel and then took a short and inexpensive flight to San Sebastian the next day. After the mini vacation, I bussed to Pamplona and then to Saint Jean Pied de Port. I don't think there is an easy way to get to SJPDP, and this option allowed me to see one of my biggest bucket list destinations. 

I was first inspired to visit this town in college because Ernest Hemingway mentions it in The Sun Also Rises, making it seem luxurious. It did not disappoint. I stayed in a nice yet affordable hotel within a ten minute walk of the beach. I loved exploring the hills, the beaches, and the shops. Because I was getting ready to embark on the Camino, I of course didn't partake in any shopping, but I took the time to acclimate myself to the tapas bar culture. This segment of the trip became practice time for ordering the food I wanted in a language I don't speak, and while alone in places that are meant to be social. It was awkward. But, what is an adventure without awkwardness? My hotel bordered a residential area, and my favorite place was a small bar that served wine and tapas. It was frequented by elderly locals who all knew each other and engaged in boisterous conversations that I couldn't understand. They pretty much ignored me while I furtively observed their interactions as my evening entertainment. 

The view in this painting is located at the base of Mount Urgull, which holds the Sacred Heart Christ Statue at its peak. I hiked the hill in preparation for the Camino, as the first day of the pilgrimage is thought to be the most challenging. On the Camino, you are rewarded with gorgeous views of nature. In San Sebastian, the high climbs are rewarded with views of the Bay of Biscay, the town, and its boats.

Oil on 24" x 36" stretched canvas. Available At UGallery.com

Click Here For Purchase Information

No comments: