Jul 20, 2024

Solitude in Spain

 

I believe I captured the reference photo for this painting in Seville, Spain. There, the crowds were immense, which could be maddening during the day, especially in the hot weather. To make my mood worse, I witnessed the mistreatment of horses that carted tourists around the city for sightseeing. The tourists were often overweight, and the drivers of the carriages were impatient with the exhausted, hot, thirsty horses. One driver smacked a horse across the face with some kind of weird medieval-looking horse punishment instrument. This sight put me over the edge and it took everything for me to hold back. I don't speak the language, so anything I would have said wouldn't have been effective anyway. Any demonstration beyond words would have gotten me into trouble and I just wanted to go home at this point. Without an outlet for my rage, I was not a pleasant person to be around. I am still determined to devise a plan to support the rights of the horses in Seville. Please feel free to share any ideas.

At night, I was happy to see the quiet and cool streets. There were still many tourists in restaurants, but everything seemed calm in many areas, though there were still some streets where people walked shoulder to shoulder in search of their next drink or tapas. The person in this alleyway seemed to be seeking the same solitude or maybe just an escape from the people in the restaurant. Oil on 14" x 18" stretched canvas. 

Available at UGallery.com

No comments: